The Advantages and Disadvantages of Ceramic Braces
Whether you are a teenager or an adult, there are many options for aligning treatment to choose from so that you can achieve a healthy, bright, and straight smile. One of the more popular options that is frequently chosen by patients are ceramic braces. Our team at iSmiles Orthodontics has put together this article so that you can decide if ceramic braces are the best option for you.
What Are Ceramic Braces?
Ceramic braces work the same way as traditional braces near you and are applied in a similar fashion. However, ceramic braces are made of ceramic, which allows them to blend in with your natural teeth more than metal braces. Along with the clear ceramic, the wires between the teeth can be made to match your teeth, resulting in a less obvious orthodontic treatment.
How Much Do Ceramic Braces Cost?
Ceramic braces are slightly more expensive than traditional braces. While traditional braces in Irvine cost anywhere from five to six thousand dollars, you can expect to pay about five hundred to a thousand dollars more on ceramic braces.
Who is a Candidate for Ceramic Braces?
Most of the time, ceramic braces are used on adults and older teenagers that have stronger, more mature teeth. Since ceramic braces can stain easily, orthodontists in Irvine trust that older teenagers and adults are more likely to take proper care of them to avoid this. Almost anyone who is eligible for traditional braces is eligible for ceramic braces. Your orthodontist can help you determine which braces type is best suited to your needs.
Pros and Cons of Ceramic Braces
To make the right decision, you must consider the advantages and disadvantages that ceramic braces come with.
- Discreet– One of the biggest benefits of ceramic braces is that they offer a much more subtle look than traditional metal braces.
- Effective– Ceramic braces have proven to be very effective at correcting misaligned bites, crooked teeth, overcrowding, and gaps.
- Comfortable– A big advantage of ceramic braces is that they tend to cause less irritation in the gums and mouth than traditional braces. Since you’ll be wearing your braces for a long period of time, comfort can be a large factor in determining which type of braces you choose.
- Durable– High-quality ceramic braces are very strong, even compared to metal braces, so you won’t easily damage them.
- Cost– As mentioned above, ceramic braces are more costly than traditional braces, but if you are looking for an efficient, transparent option, they still tend to be cheaper than clear aligning trays.
- Staining– Since ceramic is a porous material, it stains a lot easier than traditional metal braces, so you have to be diligent about your home care.
- Maintenance– Since ceramic braces are made out of a vulnerable material, they require more maintenance than traditional metal braces.
- Not suitable for everyone– While traditional metal braces are viable for almost every patient who needs aligning treatment, ceramic braces are most effective when used on patients who do not have severe misalignment or overcrowding.
Interested in Ceramic Braces?
If you require aligning treatment and feel that ceramic braces may be the right option for you, contact iSmiles Orthodontics to speak to one of our highly skilled orthodontists near you. Our team of dedicated dental professionals is happy to address any of your questions or concerns and provide you with the aligning treatment that will provide you with the strongest, healthiest, and most radiant smile. Please feel free to book a consultation today!